Tuesday, May 02, 2006

confessions of a studio slob

Well, here it is. The ugly truth. I am a studio slob. My studio is completely unworkable. I can't find anything, I don't use half of what I have because I don't know where it is, it's not organized at all.

I realized as I worked in my journal yesterday that I HAVE to do something!! I needed some collage elements to further inspire me and enhance the pages I was doing, and I didn't want to go into the pit that is my studio to look for anything. Just opening the door makes me feel overwhelmed.

There are bags everywhere, filled with stuff. I don't even
know what's in half of them. I'm ashamed to say I 've
bought duplicates of things because I can't find what I need.

Maybe it's a case of trying to fit 20 lbs of you know what into a 5 pound bag. Which means I have to clear out some.

I was inspired by Corey Moortgat's photos of her studio. Also check out her blog and site...her work's amazing! Anyway, she
has her storage up on shelves, leaving the lower part of the room free for tables and working spaces. I think that would be ideal for my space too. My studio is a small bedroom, about 10 x 12 feet, and the wall space isn't being utilized at all.

Wall shelving is a cheap option for organization; I'll take a trip down to Home Depot and buy some lumber and wall mounts. I think when I really get into it, I'll rip the carpet out before putting the tables in there. Eventually we're putting in the laminate that looks like hardwood in that room, but till then, the cement floor is better than the nasty dirty carpet that's in there.

Part of the problem is that I have so many interests, each requiring tools, materials, etc. If I just painted and nothing else, how neat the room would be! Just paints, brushes and canvases. Sigh. But I love collage, and knitting, and crocheting, and quilting, and, and, and...

And so I probably ought to walk away from this computer and go get started. If only I knew where to start!

An organizing guru in one of the women's magazines awhile back suggested setting a time limit to work in a space so you don't get overwhelmed. Hmm...I'll have to try that.

Ok, cover me; I'm going in...

2 comments:

Dawn D. Sokol said...

Proceed with caution!

Believe me, chica, I can RELATE!!

Bridgette Guerzon Mills said...

do you have an IKEA near you? Their shelves and furniture have saved me!! I have lots of shelves. Plus bins that are like drawers. Those I got at one of those container stores. Those are great because you can stack them on top of one another, but they're drawers so that you don't have to lift them off one another when you need something.
And I got those small compartment bin thingies from home depot from my little odds and ends.
My space is small so I have to be very organized or I'd go nuts!