Thursday, August 24, 2006

my first figure drawing class

Well, there will be no pictures today! We did a little drawing today, and mine was not so good. Sigh. Lots of practice is in order, let me tell you!

In saying that, I really enjoyed the class and learned a lot of helpful things to use as one is drawing a figure. We spent a lot of time looking at the skeleton and muscles of models and cadavers (the cadavers were on slides - still kind of weird), then our teacher did a demo. She broke everything down to shapes, or masses, and it was amazing! She drew these incredible figures just out of her head with no model. Which she says we will be able to do, because we will learn anatomy and how the figure is put together. I'm sure a lot of you out there are familiar with this stuff, but for me it was a revelation. And it looked so easy when she did it. HAH! Somehow my sorry little figure didn't quite look like hers and I admit I was a little lost.

So this weekend, time to practice! Tuesday we do hands and arms. Yikes!

No comments: