Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Spring beauty, winter art


A touch of spring on my front stoop. Gerbera daisies are one of my favorites. They're such happy flowers, one can't help but smile at the sight of them. We had our yard hardscaped earlier this season, and now have been having fun planting the beds and putting pots out everywhere. The daisies seem pretty happy where they are; they like the dappled sunlight.

"Falling"

Funny enough, my painting today is a winter one. I was inspired by an image I saw in an old "W" magazine and the work of Camilla Engman. I'm adding her site to my list. Her work is whimsical and moving all at once. A couple of her pieces especially touched me. I heard about her from my friend Dawn who pointed out one of her patterns for adorable stuffed animals in the Stitch n Bitch book. I had no idea she is an illustrator and painter as well. Check her out!

If I can figure out how to do it, I'm going to submit the above painting to the "Inspire me Thursdays" challenge created by Misty Mawn and Melanie Komisarski. This week's theme is "Art in the Every day". The challenge is to use an everyday object in the piece of art you create. I used a star cookie cutter as part of the background of "Falling".

I also spent some time this morning with the Danny Gregory book and did his "medicine cabinet" exercise. It was challenging; I found myself getting bored and wanting to just finish. I'll be looking at that more closely and seeing what that's all about. Anyway, here is what I did.

I'm happy I drew today and will continue to do so regularly, hopefully every day.

I'll close with a quote from Danny's book:

"I believe in the energy of art, and through the use of that energy the artist's ability to transform his or her life and by example, the lives of others." Audrey Flack

No comments: