Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Turkey pasta soup

As it was a chilly weekend in Portland, I was craving some nice, hearty soup. I went to the grocery store, grabbed a few ingredients and got to work. It turned out quite yummy in the end, and was quick and super easy to make. So I feel good sharing the recipe with you.

Turkey Pasta Soup

1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove minced garlic
1 lb ground turkey
2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings
1-2 32 oz box chicken broth (I used about one and a half boxes of the organic Swanson)
1 tsp salt
1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
1/3 box pasta (I used whole wheat medium shells, but you can use any kind you like, and can increase the amount of pasta you cook)

Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in the bottom of a soup pot. Add onions and cook for about 5 min, or until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add ground turkey and cook through. Pour in the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Add the broth and salt, and bring to a boil. Throw in the mixed veggies and pasta, and cook for about 10 minutes. Serve.

A couple of notes: I cooked my pasta separately, because I knew I wouldn't finish the soup the night I made it. I made some cornbread to go with it, and voila, delicious dinner!

No comments: