Monday, February 26, 2007

Japanese bondage and Rembrandt


Last night I went to a free reception for MCC students at the Phoenix art museum to see the Rembrandt show that's currently there. It was a good show and I enjoyed it. What was most impressive to me were the etchings. That with a simple line, Rembrandt could show mass in a figure. No shading, no nothing, just a line. Wow. I am in awe.

From there I headed over to the latest anti-art figure drawing night, where the models were doing...ahem...Japanese bondage (see above photo). Those folks organizing these sessions get some interesting models for sure! As usual, once we started drawing, I was lost in the process. I'm getting better with using just a drafting pencil to draw. The fellow who sets up these nights is an amazing figure drawing artist. He uses a drafting pencil as well, and is far better at that technique than I am. But with practice, I'll get more comfortable with the medium.

No comments: