Wednesday, August 08, 2007

my afternoon in the park

This past Saturday I went to Laurelhurst park not too far from my home. It was a glorious day and lots of people were out, walking their dogs, having picnics, and just generally enjoying each other and the day. I sat on a bench parallel to this little dog and his owners, a group of elderly, jovial folks. He was just so cute I had to draw him. Most of the drawing I had to construct on my own; dogs don't stay still all that well sometimes. But I managed to capture the spirit of him.

I admit to feeling a bit melancholy and lonely out there that day. Everyone around me was with others, having picnics and laughing, tight family groups and groups of friends, of co-workers. And there I was, knowing not a soul, in this city that I'm growing to love but isn't home yet.

I've been traveling back and forth between being very happy to be here, to feeling lost and lonely. Really enjoying my own company, and feeling an emptiness, a hollow lonely feeling. All part and parcel of making a new life in a new place.

The employment search is turning out to be a bit more of a challenge than I anticipated as well. So far I've sent out dozens of resumes, answered countless employment ads, and have yet to get even an response, let alone an interview. Yesterday I broke down and started applying for sales jobs. Not what I want, but I have to get some work.

I am working on networking here with some business organizations, so hoping something will come of that.

No comments: