Thursday, February 13, 2014

The best job in the world

Today I am feeling so fortunate to be doing what I love for a business. When I was little, I would draw and paint non-stop, make paper dolls and clothes, paper furniture and houses, and write stories. As I got into early adulthood, I put all that aside to pursue what most late teens thru mid thirties do; a significant relationship and finding my place in the world. For all of my adult life till now I worked to survive. I never really enjoyed what I was doing, just did it to put food on the table and a roof over my head. I never felt fulfilled and felt as if something was missing. Then about 15 years ago, I discovered quilting and that became the jumping off point for easing back into my creative life. Since then, I went back to school for graphic design and worked for a newspaper group in Portland, OR. That was much better than selling advertising for a living, but I still longed to make and sell my own creations.

A crossroads came about 2 years ago when my partner accepted a promotion and the possibility of us moving to Cape Cod  (where my family is) was shelved. At the time I was still in Portland and my partner was in Phoenix. We had a heart to heart, and I said I would move back to Phoenix if I could pursue my own business of creating and selling. She agreed, and here I am, almost a year later, making jewelry and painting.

I am about to cross the next threshold and purchase an inventory program to make my business more profitable and run more smoothly. Then it's on to more selling and making!

Here are a few things I worked on today:





No comments: